16 Projects That Add Value to a Home
If you’re looking for projects that add value to your home, here are some home tried and true home renovation ideas. We’ve categorized these by skill level to make renovation projects easier to plan.
Quick and Easy Projects That Add Value to Your Home
- Painting – Painting your house is an easy project that will add value to your home. Paint interior walls, cabinets, trim and even move outdoors to paint a deck, porch, shutters, and more. Adding color to your mailbox will improve curb appeal, which is big with buyers. Of all the projects that add value to a house, painting both the interior and exterior will get you the biggest bang for your buck.
- Smart home technology – Consider replacing old items with newer ones that can be controlled through smartphone apps. This technology is made simple so everyone can use it. You can start small with a thermostat and move to home lighting, security systems, and more.
- Lighting – Update the light fixtures in your home and make them uniform. It’s best to hire an electrician for this unless you’re handy and familiar with electrical safety standards.
- Kitchen backsplash – An attractive backsplash makes the kitchen more inviting. This is an easy DIY job for a handy homeowner. Hire a professional if you don’t have the proper tools or skill set to complete the project.
Intermediate Projects to Increase the Value of Your Home
- Front door replacement – Replacing your front door with a steel or fiberglass model will add value to your home.
- Minor kitchen remodels – Install new cabinets or update the appliances. Both of these projects will add value to your home.
- Deck additions – This is an intermediate DIY project. If you don’t have much experience with building, it’s best to hire a professional.
- Finish the basement – Adding drywall and flooring to your basement is an intermediate or expert task that is well worth the cost and effort.
- Add solar lighting to your home’s exterior – Outdoor lighting accentuates features of your home and increases security, both of which will add value to your home. It is inexpensive and adds value for buyers looking for a beautiful piece of property.
Expert Projects That Add Value to Your Home
- Attic Insulation – Adding or replacing insulation is a great upgrade that will add value to your home and help reduce your monthly utility bills.
- Exterior stone veneer – This manufactured finish can transform your home’s exterior. To add the most value, apply veneer selectively as a highlight, rather than as the main feature.
- Replacing exterior siding – Siding protects the structure of your home and impacts curb appeal.
- Garage door replacement – Replacing a garage door adds both value and curb appeal.
- Window replacement – New windows add value to your home and make it more energy-efficient
- Roof replacement – Just as with siding and windows, replacing an old roof will add instant value to your home.
What About Projects That Don’t Add Value?
Avoid these 3 projects if you want to increase the value and equity in your home:
- Luxury upgrades/renovations – Adding fixtures with too much personality will turn off some buyers. Often the cost of these upgrades doesn’t provide a return on investment.
- Swimming pools – Pools come with a lot of upkeep, something that many homeowners don’t want to deal with.
- Garage conversions – The loss of a garage for another room might be a dealbreaker for some.
This is a list of some of the best projects that add value to a home. Look at your budget and determine which you can take on yourself. Remember to always put safety first. If you feel like a project is too much for you, don’t hesitate to call in a pro. These renovations are worth it in the end, and having it done right is what’s important.
Maryland Home Inspectors offers inspection services in the Washington DC and Baltimore areas. Contact us to schedule an appointment.
About MARYLAND HOME INSPECTORS
Our Home Inspection Services
Serving Greater Baltimore and Washington DC
What Our Clients Have to Say
Easy Inspection Scheduling!